UMass Dartmouth Downs Southern Maine 2-0

Senior Chris Pepin in action versus UMass Dartmouth (photo by student assistant Audrey Pohl).
Senior Chris Pepin in action versus UMass Dartmouth (photo by student assistant Audrey Pohl).


GORHAM, Maine  –  Junior Yorik Sajbin (Fall River, Mass./Durfee) and freshman Eric Barry (Framingham, Mass.) each scored a goal to lead the UMass Dartmouth Corsairs to a 2-0 win over the University of Southern Maine Huskies in a Little East Conference men's soccer game Saturday afternoon at Hannaford Field. 

With the win, the Corsairs even their Little East Conference record at 2-2 and improve to 7-4 overall.  Southern Maine drops to 0-11-3 and 0-4-1 in the LEC. 


             Scoring a goal in each half, UMD got on the board in the 24th minute when Sajbin knocked in his seventh goal of the season.  Sajbin benefitted from a square ball across just inside the top of the 18 from senior Junior Monteiro (New Bedford, Mass.).  Receiving the ball in front of the goal, Sajbin beat USM goalkeeper sophomore Cameron Atherton (New Milford, Conn.) to the top right corner. 

            The Huskies, who played a man-down after the 30th minute, did well to keep the game at 1-0 until the 54th minute when Barry executed a diving header off of a long service from sophomore Declan Foley (Weymouth, Mass.).  Barry powered the header into the near post for his second goal of the season. 

            USM had a strong chance for a goal in the 62nd minute off of a set piece from about 25-yards, but senior Chris Pepin's (Bowdoinham, Maine/Mt. Ararat) shot did not dip quite enough rattling the crossbar. 


Sophomore Jake Castro (Swansea, Mass./Bishop Connolly) made two saves in the win for the Corsairs. Atheron finished with six saves for the Huskies.  The Corsairs held a 13-3 advantage in shots and a 3-2 margin in corner kicks. 


  The Corsairs win was the 100th career win for UMass Dartmouth Head Coach Henry Almeida. 


            Southern Maine hosts UMass Boston on Wednesday (7:00 pm) under the lights at Hannaford Field in a Little East Conference contest. .