UMass Boston Nips Southern Maine 97-94 in Overtime

UMass Boston Nips Southern Maine 97-94 in Overtime


GORHAM, Maine –  Michael Boyd connected on the go-ahead jumper with 46 seconds remaining and then hit one of two free throws in the final moments to lift the UMass Boston Beacons to a 97-94 overtime win over the University of Southern Maine Huskies in a Little East Conference men's basketball game Saturday afternoon at Hill Gymnasium.

            With the win, UMass Boston improves to 11-10 overall and 6-7 in the Little East Conference.  Southern Maine falls to 4-16 overall and 2-10 in conference action. 

            The Huskies had a solid look at a potential game-tying three in the closing seconds, but the shot rimmed out for the Beacons to hold on.  Boyd was one of five Beacons in double-figures with 20 points on 7-of-13 shooting from the field.  He scored three of the Beacons' 10 points in the overtime period.  Charlie Mitchell led UMB with 21 points off of the bench, including a 10-for-10 mark from the free throw line.  Javaris Hill had a double-double with 17 points and 12 rebounds, whiles Charles Mitchell tossed in 16 points and grabbed seven rebounds.   Dasan Cinelli chipped in with 10 points. 

            Junior Jayvon Pitts-Young (Portland, Maine) led all scorers with 32 points, and became the 28th Husky men's basketball player to recored 1000 points in his career.  Pitts-Young was 9-for-13 from the field and 13-for-15 from the free throw line, adding six assists, five rebounds, and two steals.  Senior Christian McCue (Hampden, Maine/Hampden Academy) had 21 points and three assists, knocking down three three-pointers.  Sophomore Kylani Lafleur (Dover, N.H./Portsmouth Christian) had 18 points, six rebounds and two assists. 

            Southern Maine led big in the first half, 25-8, with 11:40 to play as Lafleur knocked down on of three three-pointers in the game. However, the Beacons would rally to outscore USM 37-18 to close out the half and take a narrow 45-43 lead at the break.  Charlie Mitchell scored 14 of his 21 in the first half.

            The game went back-and-forth to open the second half, and UMB led 55-53 after one-of-two free throws from Cinelli before the Huskies used an 8-0 run, paced by five points from Lafleur, to snag a 62-55 lead with 13:59 to play.  From there USM remained in front and led by three possession, 78-71, with 5:19 to play in regulation after a pair of free throws from Pitts-Young.  However, Boyd, Cinelli and both Mitchells combined for a 14-7 run to tied the game up at 85 on a traditional three-point play from Cinelli.  After a pair of missed opportunities, USM took the lead 87-85 on another set of free throws from Pitts-Young, before Mitchell hit two of his own to force overtime.

            In OT, USM's Lafleur hit one-of-two free throws as the Huskies opened the scoring and both teams went back-and-forth.  A layup from Cinelli with 1:35 on the clock made it 94-91 in favor of the Beacons before USM junior Keenan Hendricks (Owls Head, Maine/Oceanside) his a baseline three to tie the game up at 94 with just over a  minute to go.  USM turned the ball over in its next possession and Boyd made just enough of his free throws to force USM into a three as time expired for the 97-94 final. 

            Southern Maine hosts Eastern Connecticut on Wednesday (7:30 p.m.) in a Little East Conference game. 

-cac -